The admission to the MBC course is subjected to curricular requirements and a demonstrated background knowledge in suitable disciplines related to the course (DM 270/04). Admission is open to:
- Graduates in Biological Sciences (Class L-13) from any Italian University that follows CBUI rules, as adequately certified. In this case, credits (CFU or ECTS) acquired by the candidate as an undergraduate will be fully recognized and will meet the curricular prerequisites. The CBUI guidelines describe the compulsory SSD (scientific areas) and the related recommended number of CFUs (min-max): 66-96 CFUs in biological subjects (BIO/01, BIO/02, BIO/04, BIO/05, BIO/06, BIO/07, BIO/09, BIO/10, BIO/11, BIO/18, BIO/19); 12-15 CFUs in chemistry-based subjects (CHIM/01, CHIM/02, CHIM/03, CHIM/06); 15-18 CFUs in mathematics/physics and computer science subjects (MAT/01-09, FIS/01-08 e INF/01).
- Biological Sciences (Class L-13) graduates from Universities that do not follow CBUI guidelines, Biological Sciences (Class L-12) ex DM509/99, or any other class that meet suitable curricular requirements, including graduates from foreign Universities that possess a title equivalent to the 1st level degree in Italian law. Curricular requirements are the acquisition of a minimum of 93 CFUs distributed in equivalent scientific areas (SSD), as described above, for Biological Sciences (Class L-13) that are in line with the criteria set by CBUI.
Students lacking adequate curricular requirements should contact the Coordinator of the Master's course well in advance, to plan the acquisition of the requested CFUs prior to the application deadline. Any lacking CFU can be acquired by passing the relevant exams and thus acquiring the credits at the University of Milan or any other University. Only students who possess the prerequisites will be invited to the interview.
The admission exam will consist of a formal interview (that can be arranged online) with an Evaluation Committee that will verify the candidate's background knowledge in Biology. A Syllabus will be made available to students prior to their interview for a self-assessment of their level of knowledge.
For all students, knowledge of the English language must be at least B1 level ("lower intermediate") according to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) for Languages or equivalent certification. The proficiency in scientific English will be verified by the committee during the interview.
The prerequisite to enter the MBC Master's Degree program is an adequate knowledge of the fundaments of biological disciplines as certified by the possession of the required CFUs as described in paragraph "Qualifications and knowledge required for admission". Knowledge will be verified by: 1) evaluation of the bachelor study program and 2) an interview with the Admission Committee, composed of teaching members appointed by the Academic Board. The interview will evaluate the expertise of the candidate in topics related to the MBC degree, and will ascertain proficiency in the English language.
The committee will evaluate the candidate on a 100-point scale and award:
- 25/100 points for the graduation grade;
- 10/100 points for the curriculum vitae (degrees with higher number of CFUs in biology related disciplines will obtain more points; the same applies to the presence of extra elective courses, Erasmus experience, others,...)
- 65/100 for interview performance
The minimum requirement for admission is 60/100 and an adequate English proficiency level (equivalent to B1 level).
For the academic Year 2022-2023 applicant interviews will be held face-to-face (unless restrictions will be imposed by Covid-19 pandemic), for those who submit their application by the deadline (see below, "Application and enrolment information and procedures"), on the following days:
- 16th September 2022 at 14.30, for graduated students;
- 7th November 2022 at 14.30 for students that graduate in September and October;
- 9th January 2023, at 14.30, for students that graduate in December. Students must bring official proof of their identity (identity card or passport).
Upon graduation, students not from University of Milan, must present certification of their awarded degree to the Administrative Office or email via https://informastudenti.unimi.it
Foreign students who are not resident in Italy and who possess a foreign bachelor's degree title, will be invited to an online interview in the following days:
- April 29th 2022
- May 27th 2022
- June 24th 2022
- July 22nd 2022
Foreign students who reside in Italy are classed as Italian citizens and must undergo the same evaluation. Check for updates on interview dates and times on the website: https://mbc.cdl.unimi.it
Application for admission: from 15/03/2022 to 26/08/2022
Application for matriculation: from 01/04/2022 to 16/01/2023
Attachments and documents
For open admission Master programmes, students who are admitted to a Master and who already graduated must enrol by 30 September 2022, while students earning their Bachelor's degree by 31 December 2022 who are admitted must enrol by 16 January 2023.
For students enrolled on bachelor’s, master’s and single cycle degree programmes are divided into two instalments of different amounts and with different payment deadlines:
- the first, corresponding to the minimum amount, is the same for all students
- the second - technically referred to as an ‘all-inclusive fee’- that is variable.
The University provides:
- A no tax area for students on track with exams and not on track with exams for one year with ISEE certification until 20.000 €.
- Fees exemption on account of merit, income or disability, or if they meet other specific requirements;
- Concessions for students meeting high merit requirements;
- Diversified tuition fees according to the student's home country for international students with assets/income abroad;
The University also provides:
- Part-time study
- Financial aid, refectory service, accommodation,
- Awards and scholarships
Admission, ranking and enrolment
- Registrar office - contacts
- Online information desk InformaStudenti (please register for the first access)
- International students: welcome desk
- Students with disabilities
- Students with SLD
Programme tutoring and contacts